'Innocence of Muslims' actress Cindy Lee Garcia's court appeal to remove the trailer from YouTube was dismissed Thursday morning
"I need to salvage my career," "Innocence of Muslims" actress Cindy Lee Garcia told The Wrap on Thursday, following a judge's denial of her request to remove the incendiary film's trailer from YouTube.
"This is not my character," said Garcia, who claims she was duped by filmmaker Nakoula Basseley Nakoula. "I attended a film premiere for another movie I did last night, but I can't even mention it because of the damage it might cause."
Garcia also told TheWrap she had received death threats — and had been told to kill two people to save her own life.
She said the FBI had not responded to her calls for protection.
Meanwhile, at an impromptu new conference following Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Luis Lavin's ruling, Garcia's lawyer Cris Armenta said they would be "back in court in three weeks" to appeal the judgment and ask for a preliminary injunction.
Garcia, who said she had hired on to make a movie called "Desert Warrior" — not "Innocence of Muslims" — handed out the script for the film she claimed she was asked to make and displayed the film's original call sheet (below).
Hired to play the role of a mother for what she was told would be an "historic epic," she said her scenes were changed and added to the "Muslims" trailer without her knowledge.
"'Desert Warrior' was set 2,000 years ago, and during the time I filmed there was no mention of Mohammed or Muslims. It was 'Master George,'" she said at the news conference.
"I said 'Master George.' They changed it to Mohammed," she told TheWrap.
Armenta, who said the case was denied for lack of evidence, told TheWrap that she believes the law is strong enough to protect her client despite shortcomings in what content sites, such as YouTube, can show.
"We are holding this press conference because we want people to understand why the case was denied and that we will be back in court," she said.
"It is interesting that Google is fighting so hard," Armenta told TheWrap. "We applied for a mandatory restraining order to take the thing down. This is different from a restraining order for harassment. It is used a lot with sex videotapes. I used that analogy, but the judge didn't buy it. The judge said there was a lack of evidence and questioned the Federal Communications Decency Act."
Armenta explained that Google, which owns YouTube, argued that the act insulates the company from liability. "We have the evidence; we just need to say it in bigger sentences," she told TheWrap.
← Previous Story