"Pump Boys and Dinettes" was scheduled to debut in March, but a crowded schedule of new plays will delay its premiere
"Pump Boys and Dinettes" is postponing its Broadway opening, the revival's producers said Monday.
The musical, directed by Tony Award winner John Doyle ("Sweeney Todd"), was previously scheduled to begin previews on March 19 at Circle in the Square Theatre. It was slated to officially open on April 8.
Producers did not say when the show will open or if it will debut in the same theater when it does make it to the stage. They said a crowded schedule of plays this spring made them decide to mount their production when the competition was less fierce.
The show was nominated for Tony for Best Musical when it debuted in 1982. Set in a rest stop on Highway 57, the play focuses on a group of hard-working men and women at the gas station and he nearby Double Cupp Diner. The show's musical numbers have an everything but the kitchen sink quality, with actors playing a wide array of musical instruments from the piano to a bass to kitchen utensils.
Abby Lee, David B. Brode, Lee Seymour, Alec Seymour and Suzanne and Michael H. Moskow are producing the show. Tom Viertel is executive producer.
← Previous Story