The plaintiff in a lawsuit against Singer claims the director forcibly sodomized him at the age of 17 during multiple trips to Hawaii
Bryan Singer was not in Hawaii in when a lawsuit claims he sexually abused a 17-year-old boy in 1999, and his lawyer says he's got credit card receipts, telephone records and production schedules to prove it.
“We now have documentary evidence proving that Singer was not in Hawaii during the time period he was alleged to have been there with Egan,” a representative from defense attorney Marty Singer's law firm told TheWrap. “As confirmed by his cell phone records, credit card statements and receipts, per diem payment records, and production schedule, Singer was filming a movie in Toronto, or otherwise traveling within the continental U.S. from August 1999 through early 2000.”
The movie was the first installment of 20th Century Fox's “X-Men” franchise, which was released in theaters in July of 2000.
“This was Bryan's first studio film,” Singer told the Associated Press. “Clearly, he's not going to take a break in the middle of this movie while you're shooting and prepping it to go to Hawaii.”
The lawyer did not release any of the records to AP, citing privacy for his client.
Michael Egan, the plaintiff in a lawsuit attorney Jeff Herman filed in Hawaii earlier this week, claims Singer forcibly sodomized him on multiple occasions — first at a pool party at an estate in Encino, Calif., then in Hawaii.
During the first of several Hawaii trips, Singer allegedly “put a handful of cocaine against Plaintiff's nose and forced him to inhale it” and “provided Plaintiff with a beverage which he drank which significantly impacted his consciousness and his motor skills” before anally raping him twice.
Singer's attorney has said the lawsuit was “completely without merit.”
Egan claims he was not the only underage boy who was abused, and his attorney Jeff Herman stated at a press conference in Beverly Hills on Thursday that he has other clients who will allege being abused in future lawsuits, as well.
“I've been contacted by other victims who were alleging they were abused by other Hollywood industry people, completely unrelated to Mike's case,” Herman said.
Herman has yet to respond to TheWrap's request for additional comment.