Studio changed J.J. Abrams’ mind on 3D; shooting begins Thursday
Another week, another addition to the "Star Trek" sequel.
Joseph Gatt, the British actor who played Frost Giant Grundroth in "Thor," has joined the cast of J.J. Abrams' 3D film, TheWrap has confirmed.
The news comes days after it was announced that another British actor, Benedict Cumberbatch, had also joined the cast of the still-untitled movie.
A representative for Paramount Pictures would not comment on either actor's role in the movie. It has been widely speculated that Cumberbatch will play a villain, but in a recent interview with Collider, Abrams (coyly?) remarked, "Who said he's our villain?"
The "Star Trek" sequel — which brings back stars Chris Pine (Capt. Kirk), Zachary Quinto (Spock), Anton Yelchin (Chekov) and Zoe Saldana (Uhura) — will start shooting Thursday, Abrams said in the same interview. The director also commented on the decision to release the film in 3D.
"I did not fight for the 3D," Abrams said. "It was something that the studio wanted to do, and I didn’t want to do it. And then, when I saw the first movie converted in sections, I thought that it actually looked really cool. So, I was OK with their doing it, as long as I could shoot the movie the way I wanted to, in anamorphic film, and then let them convert it."
The "Star Trek" sequel is due May 17, 2013. It had previously been targeted for release on June 29, 2012.
Gatt is represented by Ballistic Talent.