To those fans who feel cheated: Sorry, that one-hour final episode was not an April Fools joke
(Spoiler alert: Do not read this if you haven’t watched Monday’s “How I Met Your Mother” finale.)
“How I Met Your Mother” closed the book on nine seasons Monday night, twisting and turning toward a direction that left many viewers unsatisfied, and plenty of other fans just downright furious.
As it turned out, Ted’s wife, the titular “Mother,” is dead. And Mr. Mosby is still very much in love with Robin, who he finds himself chasing yet again a somewhat indeterminable older age.
Oh, and that whole Robin and Barney marriage — well, that didn’t last. But at least Robin has her dogs and her career, and Barney has a baby with … someone. Fortunately, Marshall and Lily seem to be doing OK, all things considered.
But don’t let us gripe about the ending when Twitter users did such a good job of it. Below are some of the funniest and angriest tweets about the series finale.
But first, here is one kind reaction from a former “HIMYM” star to help readers ease into the anger beneath:
There’s not a dry eye on my couch. And I’m the only one on my couch. That was beautiful. #HIMYMFinale
– Benny Griffiths (@ItssssBenny) April 1, 2014
So if my wife dies young, I should tell my kids a long story about how we met, while really asking if I can bang an old lover. #HIMYMFinale
– Joe Pace (@JoePace45) April 1, 2014
#HIMYMFinale Finally a love story even more disappointing than Twilight.
– Urban Sanyaasi (@Urban_Sanyaasi) April 1, 2014
– Katrina Hill (@ActionChick) April 1, 2014
“Now kids, that’s how I managed to destroy three seasons of character development.” #himymfinale
– Perry Fawcett (@PerryFawcett) April 1, 2014
Not many shows can retroactively destroy the entire series, but the #himymfinale managed that great feat.
– Andriana Bicanin (@AndriBica85) April 1, 2014
– BattleCityZero (@BattleCityZero) April 1, 2014
– kate jones. (@katethegreat) April 1, 2014
So all I took from #HIMYMFinale was why would you stand in the rain with an umbrella when two feet over is a cover to stand under.
– Nate Bargatze (@natebargatze) April 1, 2014
My life goal is to become rich enough to hire all the actors again and re-create the finale the correct way. #HIMYMFinale
– Logan Walker (@LoganWalker1130) April 1, 2014
I mean the show is called “How I Met Your Mother” not “How I Went Back To Your Aunt Robin 20 Times” #HIMYMFinale
– gabby. (@SwiftlyTatum) April 1, 2014
*goes to watch Friends finale because they actually know how to deliver a proper series finale* #HIMYMFinale
– Anthony (@ACminaj95) April 1, 2014
– JakeVK (@JakeVK) April 1, 2014