No Changes at ‘Spider-Man,’ Troubled Broadway Show Says

Despite onstage and backstage problems, “Spider Man: Turn Off the Dark” says media report that another director besides Julie Taymor has been hired are false

 

Julie Taymor is still swinging at "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark."

"There is no truth to the rumor of a co-director," a representative for the troubled production said Sunday.

Earlier the New York Post reported that “producers of the beleaguered $65 million musical, 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark,' appear to be losing faith in their director Julie Taymor, creator of the 'Lion King,' and are looking to hire a co-director.”

The paper claimed that Taymor is “exhausted” by the problems the show has had and that Phil McKinley, who directed Hugh Jackman in “The Boy from Oz,” had been contacted to potentially come on board.

Not so say Spider-Man’s people.

"The production has not brought anyone on and the original creative team remains firmly in place,” said Rick Miramontez for the web-slinging show, “with Julie Taymor at the helm." 

Also read: ‘Spider-Man’ Broadway Opening Delayed Again

This is just the latest hit the multi-million dollar musical, which features songs from U2’s Bono and The Edge, has taken. Unlike the seemingly smooth Andrew Garfield film reboot of the character,  “Spider-Man” Turn Off the Dark” has seen actors leave and injured, rewrites galore, technical difficulties and a number of performances cancelled.

In mid-January, producer Michael Cohl announced that the formal opening of the show, which has received scathing reviews from almost everyone except Glenn Beck, would now be pushed back from Feb, 7 to March 15 – the musical’s fifth opening night delay.

Also read: NY Times, Others Break 'Spider-Man' Embargo With Scathing Reviews 

Despite all it’s onstage and backstage problems and critical drubbing, “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” continues, in both previews and upcoming performances, to sell out at the box office.