Leonardo DiCaprio, Ellen Page, Andy Cohen, Seth Meyers and Josh Gad among those who express glee following the higher court's decisions
The Supreme Court voted in a 5-4 decision on Wednesday to overturn the Defense of Marriage Act, while also allowing a lower court ruling overturning California's Prop 8 to stand, and much of Hollywood could not be happier.
Leonardo DiCaprio, an Oscar nominee who portrayed closeted FBI director J. Edgar Hoover in "J. Edgar," took to Twitter to congratulate the Court, and proclaim June 26, 2013 as a "historic day."
A number of other notable names, such as Ben Affleck, Mark Ruffalo, "Juno" star Ellen Page, future late-night host Seth Meyers and Los Angeles mayor-elect Eric Garcetti, agreed and tweeted their own reaction to the welcome news.
Take a look at a sampling of the reactions:
Woo hoo!!! DOMA goodbye! Equality hello!!!!
- Josh Gad (@joshgad) June 26, 2013
DOMA and Prop 8 should get married.
- Seth Meyers (@sethmeyers) June 26, 2013
- Andy Cohen (@BravoAndy) June 26, 2013
- Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) June 26, 2013
Woke up to the news of DOMA being struck down. Don't care that it's cold and raining in Portland, it's a beautiful day.
- Carrie Brownstein (@Carrie_Rachel) June 26, 2013
First Wendy, now DOMA gets the boot! Sometimes things are really great.
- Lena Dunham (@lenadunham) June 26, 2013
DOMA is struck down! Snap!
- Ellen Page (@EllenPage) June 26, 2013
So long DOMA. You won't be missed
- mia farrow (@MiaFarrow) June 26, 2013
Decision by Supreme Court to strike down DOMA makes this a great day for equality in our country.
- Eric Garcetti (@ericgarcetti) June 26, 2013
Proud to be an American on a day like today. #DOMA found unconstitutional. Equality and love overrule <3
- Sarah Hyland (@Sarah_Hyland) June 26, 2013
p20 of the DOMA decision has some promising language about "improper animus." #prop8
- John August (@johnaugust) June 26, 2013
What a momentous day for equality in the history of our country!!!!!
- Perez Hilton (@PerezHilton) June 26, 2013
- Leonardo DiCaprio (@LeoDiCaprio) June 26, 2013
I would've been pretty shocked if DOMA wasn't struck down. The oral argument in support of it was a desperate mess.
- Travis Beacham (@travisbeacham) June 26, 2013
- Lady Gaga (@NYCLadyGaga) June 26, 2013
- Ben Affleck (@BenAffleck) June 26, 2013
DOMA has been held unconstitutional, 5-4 decision authored by Justice Kennedy. Oh happy day!
- George Takei (@GeorgeTakei) June 26, 2013
You're damn right DOMA is unconstitutional!! #equalitymatters
- Kristen Bell (@IMKristenBell) June 26, 2013
DOMA is dead. Prop 8 is dead. Now let's bring my big, gay marriage to @IMKristenBell to Life!!!!
- dax shepard (@daxshepard1) June 26, 2013
Remember the old days when #DOMA was around and gay people couldn't get married in California? Crazy right!?
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (@jessetyler) June 26, 2013
Hey! You know what? The Kids Are All Right! Defense of marriage falls! We chose love over hate! Goodbye #DOMA
- Mark Ruffalo (@Mruff221) June 26, 2013
Congratulations everyone! Love wins over bigotry! #Doma falls. Thanks for Prop8 and the parade of fake science and bigotry that followed.
- Mark Ruffalo (@Mruff221) June 26, 2013
And Prop 8 was dismissed?!? Huzzah! Christmas comes six months early this year! (Less one day…)
- Neil Patrick Harris (@ActuallyNPH) June 26, 2013
I've said this before and I'll say it again: Having faith in God, and supporting equal rights… they're not mutually exclusive ideas.
- Brooklyn Decker (@BrooklynDecker) June 26, 2013
Thank you #SCOTUS, good riddance DOMA, and hello to my Mom asking me once a month why I'm still not married.
- Greg Berlanti (@GBerlanti) June 26, 2013
It's a supremely wonderful day for equality. Prop 8 is over, and so is DOMA. Congratulations everyone. And I mean everyone.
- Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) June 26, 2013
Very pleased about the Supreme Courts rulings today on DOMA and gay marriage in CA.
- William Shatner (@WilliamShatner) June 26, 2013
Great day to be gay.
- Kevin Williamson (@kevwilliamson) June 26, 2013