Comic-Con arrives in downtown San Diego in two weeks, and you don't have a badge. Perhaps sitting in front of the computer for over two hours while EPIC, Comic-Con.org's ticket sales website, held your place in line (mine was #23,187) to buy a pass just wasn’t cool.
Well, we hear you. But there’s no time to be vexed about this epic ticket fail because there’s still a few ways you can be part of San Diego’s most popular event. But you have to act fast!
There are plenty of ways to win tickets to the annual pop culture convention, but we can only list a few here. However, if entering sweepstakes isn’t your thing, or if you don’t score passes in these contests, there are also free and not-quite-free events you can attend with and without a Comic-Con badge and not feel left out.
Get your act together quickly and submit your entries to any of the following contests:
1. Redbull, the popular energy drink, The Weinstein Company and Columbia Pictures are looking for the next up-and-coming young filmmaker to inspire Quinton Tarantino. In an effort to promote “Django Unchained,” Tarantino’s latest film, you can enter to win two passes to Comic-Con and to a Meet and Greet with the actor/director. This contest requires quite a bit of work, but it’s worth a shot. Hurry up and click here because it ends June 30th.
2. If you are a fan of Disney (and even if you are not) here’s another contest that could get you to the Con in style. Disney is promoting their upcoming film, "Frankenweenie," and this contest is very easy to enter -- just register your email. The lucky winner will get a VIP trip to Comic-Con, entrance to the Frankenweenie exhibit, and an exclusive meet-and-greet with Tim Burton.
3. SONY Entertainment Network is also offering Comic-Con tickets via their Facebook page. Go hit them up!
4. VH1 Classic will hold an Opening Night Attendee Welcome Party, "Dawn of the Con," on Thursday, July 12, 5:30 – 11PM. “VH1 Classic will take over San Diego's Petco Park to ring in Comic-Con in true rocker fashion. The night's festivities will be hosted by hard-rock icon and celebrated filmmaker Rob Zombie, and live music will be spun by DJ Will from VH1 Classic's That Metal Show. "VH1 Classic is thrilled to be hosting the first-ever official Comic-Con welcome party for the fans and attendees of Comic-Con," said Nigel Cox-Hagan, Executive Vice President, Creative and Consumer Marketing at VH1.“Dawn of the Con” is free for all attendees. Go here for more on this one.
5. Fearnet.com is throwing an invitation-only bash called “Con of the Dead.” “FEARnet, the leading cable destination for horror, thriller and suspense content, will team with Capcom® and its upcoming Resident Evil® 6 video game and MPI's Dark Sky Films to celebrate the horror genre at Comic-Con this year, hosting "Con-of-the-Dead," an evening party saluting both fans and industry insiders alike. This invitation-only party will fittingly take place Friday, July 13, at San Diego's gothic-inspired Voyeur nightclub from 6 to 8:30 PM.”
6. PETCO Park will be hosting the “Walking Dead Escape.” For three days, July 12-14, you can purchase tickets to become a Survivor, Walker or Spectator in this unique event at the ballpark. Dig up your best Zombie costume and head to PETCO Park for an apocalyptic experience where you’ll crawl, slide and drag yourself through the bowels of the stadium encountering an obstacle course and other unknown elements as you try to escape to safety.
Good luck to you -- and may the force be with you.