Andre Johnson, 25, slapped with multiple charges including menacing and criminal possession of a weapon, according to the NYPD
Andre Johnson, the homeless man who was arrested for allegedly trying to gain entry to ABC Studios in New York, has been charged with multiple counts, the New York Police Department told TheWrap Wednesday.
Johnson, 25, is charged with attempted assault, menacing and criminal possession of a weapon after he allegedly pulled out a knife and attempted to stab an ABC security guard who denied him entry to the studio Tuesday in Manhattan.
As TheWrap previously reported, police said Johnson told them he went to ABC Studios to “kill Michael Strahan,” who’s a “Good Morning America” contributor and co-host of “Live with Kelly and Michael.”
“There was an incident in Times Square,” Heather Riley of ABC News confirmed to TheWrap. “An individual lunged at one of our employees and was heroically tackled by a police officer. We understand the man was taken in for psychiatric evaluation. It was a scary situation but thanks to the fast actions of NYPD the situation was quickly under control. Michael was never in any danger.”
Strahan, who was in the building at the time, was not made aware of the incident until later Tuesday afternoon.
Johnson has not yet been arraigned.