Eunice Huthart alleges her voicemail was intercepted by British newspaper News of the World
The phone-hacking scandal that's plagued News Corp. over the last few years has spread to bizarre new territory — now, Angelina Jolie's stunt double claims to have been affected.
In a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in central California on Friday, Eunice Huthart charges that voicemail messages to her cell phone were intercepted in order to mine information on the "Salt" star for British newspapers published by News Corp. subsidiary News International. In court documents obtained by TheWrap, Huthart says she's worked as Jolie's stunt double on films including "Beyond Borders" and "Tomb Raider 2."
Huthart, a British citizen who has periodically worked as a stunt double for Jolie in the U.S. and claims to have lived with Jolie in a Brentwood, Calif., house while "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" was being filmed. She says that, from 2004 to 2005, she began to receive complaints from family and friends that their phone messages to her weren't being returned. Huthart says she hadn't received the messages and, subsequently, found that her cell phone PIN number had been changed on multiple occasions, blocking her from receiving messages.
The stunt double cites two May 2005 stories that she believes were generated from information gained from her voicemail messages: one, a story in the now defunct News of the World about Jolie threatening to quit the movie business, and another, published in the Sun, about Jolie's desire to learn off-road biking.
News Corp. had no comment on the lawsuit for TheWrap.
Huthart is seeking unspecified damages for alleged violation of the Stored Communications Act, violation of the Wiretap Act and intrusion into private affairs, among other offenses.
Pamela Chelin contributed to this report.