Michael Moore sued his “Fahrenheit 9/11” partners Bob and Harvey Weinstein for $2.7 million in February 2011.
Three guys who have never been known to back down from a fight — Michael Moore and Bob and Harvey Weinstein — have settled their multimillion dollar lawsuit over the documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11," documents filed in Superior Court in Los Angeles County show.
Terms of the settlement were not disclosed, and a lawyer for Moore told TheWrap Thursday that the details will remain confidential.
The Weinsteins, through their "The Fellowship Adventure Group," financed, sold and distributed "Fahrenheit," which Moore wrote, directed and produced.
Last February, Moore (pictured right, with Harvey Weinstein), the director of the documentaries "Roger and Me," "Bowling for Columbine" and "Fahrenheit 9/11" sued the Weinsteins for $2.7 million, claiming the Weinsteins used "bogus accounting methods" to cheat him out of money.
At the time, the Weinsteins' lawyer, Bert Fields, called the case "demonstrable and absolute baloney."
Moore's lawyer, Stanton L. Stein, said at the time, "the Weinsteins have been a force for good when it comes to championing independent film — but that does not give them the right to violate a contract and take money that isn't theirs."
The 2004 "Fahrenheit 9/11" is the highest-grossing documentary of all time, grossing more than $222 million worldwide. It had a budget of $6 million. The movie is Moore's take on the events following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.
The case was scheduled to go to court March 28. But last week, lawyers for both sides informed the court that they had settled.
As long as certain terms are met — court documents don't say what they are, but they likely have to do with money — the lawyers will ask the judge to dismiss the case.
Documents show that the lawyers expect to file a request for dismissal no later than May 17.
Pamela Chelin contributed to this report