With the new charges, there are a total of 41 counts agains the Bravo stars
Bravo's “Real Housewives of New Jersey” stars Teresa and husband Joe Giudice appeared in Newark federal court on Wednesday to answer to two additional charges of fraud brought against them earlier this week.
The couple pleaded not guilty to one count of bank fraud and one count of loan application fraud as they did with the 39 previous charges against them, according to Teresa's attorney Henry E. Klingeman in a statement.
“She looks forward to defending herself at the trial. Beyond that, we will answer all of the charges in court, not out,” he said.
The trial is expected to take place sometime in late winter/early spring.
U.S. Attorney Paul J. Fishman said earlier this week that the two additional counts stem from a $361,250 mortgage loan that Teresa obtained in July 2005. In obtaining the loan, she and Joe prepared a loan application which falsely stated that Teresa was employed as a realtor and that she had a monthly salary of $15,000. Teresa was not employed outside the home at the time.
The bank fraud and loan application fraud counts each carry a maximum potential penalty of 30 years in prison and a $1 million fine.
Previously in August, the couple pleaded “not guilty” to the initial 39 counts, including mail fraud, wire fraud, bank fraud, bankruptcy fraud, making false statements on loan applications and failure to file tax returns. Those amounted to more than 50 years maximum time combined in prison and more than $1.5 million in combined fines.
Pamela Chelin contributed to this report.