“We must ensure that the ‘Late Show’s’ long and proud history of making the nation laugh from New York continues for years to come,” Andrew Cuomo said
New York Governor Andrew C. Cuomo is thrilled that Stephen Colbert is taking over “The Late Show” — which means the late-night staple could stay in Manhattan, he argued.
And it will — if Cuomo’s “urging” phone call to CBS President and CEO Leslie Moonves has anything to do with the final decision.
“With East Coast based host Stephen Colbert taking the reins of the ‘Late Show,’ it’s clear we should keep the show where it belongs — here in New York,” the governor said in a statement.
“I am calling CBS President and Chief Executive Officer Les Moonves and urging that CBS continue the ‘Late Show’s’ history of filming in New York’s own legendary Ed Sullivan Theater,” he continued. “Our state is a top destination for entertainment businesses to thrive and grow, creating jobs and economic opportunities for communities across the State, and late night programs are a major part of that success.”
Cuomo concluded: “We must ensure that the ‘Late Show’s’ long and proud history of making the nation laugh from New York continues for years to come.”
The future of “The Late Show” from a production and geographic standpoint is still up in the air. Colbert, who currently films his Comedy Central show in New York City, will take over sometime next year. Letterman will likely do another full 12 months of shows for CBS, TheWrap learned earlier on Thursday.
Letterman’s Worldwide Pants will not be the production company behind the next generation of “The Late Show.”
The succession plan — which includes a five-year deal for Colbert — was revealed by the network earlier on Thursday morning.
Last week Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti appealed to CBS to move the show to the West Coast, once Letterman retires.