The announcement that Stephen Colbert would succeed David Letterman on CBS’s “The Late Show” was welcomed by Hollywood.
The sudden revelation on Thursday that Letterman would be replaced by Colbert in 2015 drew reactions from around Twitter, with many Hollywood personalities sending well wishes to the Comedy Central star.
Congratulations to the hugely talented and fragrant and lovely @StephenAtHome on the new gig. Welcome to the CBS funhouse.
- Jimmy Kimmel (@jimmykimmel) April 10, 2014
I’d like to welcome the great @StephenAtHome to network late night and also congratulate him on his new name: Jimmy Colbert.
– jimmy fallon (@jimmyfallon) April 10, 2014
Congratulations to @StephenAtHome! Could not have happened to a nicer guy
– Seth Meyers (@sethmeyers) April 10, 2014
- Mindy Kaling (@mindykaling) April 10, 2014
I’m thrilled for @StephenatHome replacing Dave. He’s a fantastic choice. I’m a huge fan. Colbert is rad.
- Arsenio Hall (@ArsenioHall) April 10, 2014
- moby (@thelittleidiot) April 10, 2014
Can't wait to get to know the real Stephen Colbert. Congrats @StephenAtHome
- Ryan Seacrest (@RyanSeacrest) April 10, 2014
Congratulations to Stephen Colbert for succeeding David Letterman. He should be terrific! @StephenAtHome – will you stay in character?
– Larry King (@kingsthings) April 10, 2014
– Jon Cryer (@MrJonCryer) April 10, 2014
Congrats @StephenAtHome ! The world rejoices!
Congrats @StephenAtHome for replacing Dave! Now can I do your prostate exam? (Hopefully if u r reading this u saw that show!)
- Katie Couric (@katiecouric) April 10, 2014
But not everyone was happy about Colbert’s new gig.
In spite of being white, male, straight, popular, competent, and rich, Stephen Colbert has overcome the odds and succeeded.
– Teju Cole (@tejucole) April 10, 2014
The woman who started the #cancelcolbert campaign also responded to Colbert’s promotion.
[Absence is a politic. #NotYourClickbait]
- Angry Asian Woman (@suey_park) April 10, 2014
More to come…