In an excerpt from her book “The $11 Billion Dollar Year,” Anne Thompson describes Anderson’s inaugural experience at Cannes for “Moonrise Kingdom”
Moonrise Kingdom News, Movies and Background
- By Todd Cunningham on March 9, 2014 @ 9:03 am
The quirky ensemble comedy scores one of the best specialty debuts ever
- By Brent Lang on March 8, 2014 @ 10:41 am
Timing and marketing pushed the film to new heights
- By Steve Pond on February 23, 2013 @ 3:22 pm
David O. Russell's Oscar nominee wins four awards, including Best Feature; "The Sessions" takes two acting prizes
- By Steve Pond on February 22, 2013 @ 2:51 pm
"Beasts of the Southern Wild," "Silver Linings Playbook" and "Moonrise Kingdom" lead the field in a varied Indie Spirit Awards race with less Oscar overlap...
- By Steve Pond on February 13, 2013 @ 3:36 pm
Roman Coppola, the co-writer of "Moonrise Kingdom," says it was all about asking the right questions and focusing on the curious, tangled way people talk
- By Steve Pond on January 8, 2013 @ 6:30 pm
In an accelerated and unsettled year, six movies look in good shape while a number of others scramble for the available slots; here's who we...
‘Moonrise Kingdom,’ ‘Beasts of the Southern Wild,’ ‘Silver Linings Playbook’ Top Indie Spirit Awards NominationsBy Steve Pond on November 27, 2012 @ 10:31 am
With big studios dominating the Oscar race, Film Independent Spirit Awards nominations go for smaller films, with "Moonrise Kingdom" and "Silver Linings Playbook" landing five...
- By Greg Gilman on November 26, 2012 @ 7:50 pm
"Beasts of the Southern Wild" director wins two awards
- By Greg Gilman on November 21, 2012 @ 2:20 pm
TheWrap staff offers up deserving films and folks who might get lost in the crush of a crazy awards season.
- By Todd Cunningham on September 16, 2012 @ 8:22 am
Paul Thomas Anderson's Scientology-inspired tale "The Master" averages $145,949 for weekend on five screens in NY and LA. With day-and-date VOD, "Arbitrage" take in $2M...
- By Todd Cunningham on September 15, 2012 @ 8:57 am
Paul Thomas Anderson's Scientology-inspired tale "The Master" averages $48,425 Friday in debut on 5 screens in N.Y. and Los Angeles
- By Todd Cunningham on July 8, 2012 @ 11:43 am
Openers bow softly but holdovers "Moonrise Kingdom," "To Rome With Love" and "Beasts of the Southern Wild" shine in expansions
- By Todd Cunningham on July 1, 2012 @ 10:55 am
Fox Searchlight's festival hit "Beasts of the Southern Wild" bows to $169K in L.A. and New York, with a $42,250 per-screen average
- By Todd Cunningham on June 24, 2012 @ 10:54 am
Woody Allen's latest, "To Rome With Love," takes in $379K from five screens in its debut. "Best Exotic" and "Moonrise Kingdom" roll on.
- By Todd Cunningham on June 17, 2012 @ 10:54 am
"Your Sister's Sister," in which Mark Duplass stars, opens with a $9,000 per-screen average. "Safety Not Guaranteed," which he exec produces with his brother, expands...
- By Todd Cunningham on June 17, 2012 @ 9:06 am
The DreamWorks Animation CGI film repeats as No. 1, with newcomers "Rock of Ages" at $15M and "That's My Boy" at $13M. "Prometheus" is No....
- By Todd Cunningham on June 14, 2012 @ 6:04 pm
"Madagascar 3," still alone in the family market, is expected to stay No. 1 at weekend box office. "Rock of Ages" and "That's My Boy"...
- By Todd Cunningham on June 10, 2012 @ 11:20 am
"Moonrise Kingdom," Wes Anderson's tale of tween love from Focus Features, joins "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" among box-office elite
- By Todd Cunningham on June 3, 2012 @ 11:06 am
Wes Anderson's "Moonrise Kingdom" averages $53K per screen at 16 theaters for Focus. "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" keeps rolling
- By Steve Pond on May 28, 2012 @ 6:20 pm
The 2012 Cannes Film Festival honored Europeans and went for the emotion, but a crazy American film snuck in there too
- By Todd Cunningham on May 28, 2012 @ 11:07 am
Wes Anderson's tale of tween love "Moonrise Kingdom" rings up $669K from four N.Y. and L.A. theaters for Focus Features
- By Todd Cunningham on May 24, 2012 @ 3:00 pm
Sony's alien-wrangling agents return after 10 years in "Men in Black 3," just in time to topple "The Avengers' for the Memorial Day weekend box-office...
- By Sharon Waxman on May 24, 2012 @ 12:30 pm
“It’s the autobiography of something that didn’t happen,” the director with one of Hollywood's most specific visual idioms tells TheWrap in an interview
- By Alonso Duralde on May 23, 2012 @ 10:15 am
While it won’t win over detractors who think that Wes Anderson’s work is precious and fussy, "Moonrise Kingdom" does see the filmmaker firmly rooted in...
- By Steve Pond on May 18, 2012 @ 6:42 am
Day 3: Marion Cotillard gets awards heat, Guillermo del Toro talks "Pinocchio" and Bill Murray cuts a rug
- By Steve Pond on May 17, 2012 @ 6:40 am
Day 2: The Cannes jury meets the press, and the potential acquisition of an Osama bin Laden movie could cause complications this fall
- By Sasha Stone on May 16, 2012 @ 2:03 pm
"Moonrise Kingdom" is sometimes more style than substance, but it's also charming, occasionally moving and always engaging, as Wes Anderson films are wont to be