According to a new study from Nielsen and Sony Electronics, nothing stays with us like tragedy
Nothing like a little trauma to make something stick to the memory.
A new study by Nielsen and Sony Electronics reveals the top 20 moments that Americans most remember from television, and the list is topped by a one-two serving of tragedy: The terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 and Hurricane Katrina, which ravaged New Orleans in 2005.
The grim memories don't end there; the list is packed with them from the Challenger space shuttle disaster to the death of Whitney Houston earlier this year to the Oklahoma City federal building bombing of 1995.
Way to accentuate the negative, people.
The survey was conducted by questioning participants online in February. Respondents were given a list of major moments in history and told to rank them.
Not all of the moments that had an impact are of the tragic variety — last year's wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton last year also found a place on the list, at No. 14, as did President Barack Obama's 2008 acceptance speech for the presidential nomination.
Read the full list below. Which events do you think should have made it but didn't? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
1. Sept. 11 attacks (2001)
2. Hurricane Katrina (2005)
3. O.J. Simpson murder verdict (1995)
4. Space shuttle Challenger disaster (1986)
5. Death of Osama bin Laden (2011)
6. O.J. Simpson high-speed car chase (1994)
7. Earthquake / tsunami in Japan (2011)
8. Columbine school shooting (1999)
9. BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico (2010)
10. Funeral of Princess Diana (1997)
11. Death of Whitney Houston (2012)
12. Capture and execution of Saddam Hussein (2006)
13. Barack Obama acceptance speech (2008)
14. Prince William, Kate Middleton wedding (2011)
15. Assassination of President Kennedy (1963)
16. Oklahoma City federal building bombing (1995)
17. Bush/Gore election results (2000)
18. Los Angeles riots/Rodney King beating (1992)
19. Casey Anthony murder trial verdict (2011)
20. Funeral of President Kennedy (1963)
← Previous Story