Fuller had been seeking an executive producer credit and fees for Simon Cowell's "X Factor"
"American Idol" creator Simon Fuller has made nice with the show's network Fox, after suing Fox over credit and fees from its other singing competition, "The X Factor."
Fuller has settled a lawsuit he filed against Fox Broadcasting Company and "Idol" production company Fremantle, an individual with knowledge of the situation told TheWrap.
In his suit, filed in July 2011 — before the American version of "The X Factor" premiered — Fuller sought an executive producer credit and fees from the show.
Fuller's British series "Pop Idol" gave birth to "American Idol." After "Idol" judge Cowell launched the British version of "The X Factor" in 2004, Fuller filed suit, claiming that "X Factor" stole from "Pop Idol."
Fuller claimed he agreed to drop his suit if he was given an executive producer credit and a fee for the American version of "X Factor," which launched in 2011.
Fox had no comment for TheWrap on the settlement Friday. However, at the time the suit was filed, the network told TheWrap that the suit was "without merit," and that Fuller had done nothing to earn an "X Factor" executive producer credit or financial compensation for the show.
"Mr. Fuller has not been hired, nor performed any duties, on the U.S. version of 'The X Factor.' His suit seeks payment and credit as an executive producer despite his neither having been approved by the required parties, nor hired, as such. We believe this lawsuit is without merit and we expect to prevail," Fox told TheWrap at the time.
At the time, Fuller's representative told TheWrap in a statement that Fuller had attempted to settle the conflict privately, to no avail, and that he had "no other choice but to pursue legal action."