Show moved to midnight last year to make room for “Conan”
George Lopez's talk show "Lopez Tonight" will not be renewed for a third season, TBS announced.
"TBS has reached the difficult decision not to order a third season of 'Lopez Tonight,'" the company said in a statement. "Thursday will be the final episode of the show. We are proud to have partnered with George Lopez, who is an immensely talented comedian and entertainer. TBS has valued its partnership with George and appreciates all of his work on behalf of the network, both on and off the air."
Why the suddent sendoff? TBS had to exercise its option to renew the show or not by Aug. 15.
Lopez agreed to move from 11 p.m. to midnight last year to accomodate Conan O'Brien's move to TBS. "Lopez Tonight" has turned in low ratings, but TBS has boasted about the young audiences for it and "Conan."
So far this year in live + 7 ratings, which measure viewership of an episode over a week, "Lopez Tonight" has delivered an average of 546,000 viewers, 225,000 adults 18-34 and 360,000 adults 18-49. (The figures are through July 24.)
In the same period. "Conan" has delivered an average of 1,138,000 viewers, 566,000 adults 18-34 and 831,000 adults 18-49.
O'Brien, who left NBC after he was asked to push back "The Tonight Show" by half an hour to make room for Jay Leno to return to 11:35 p.m., was careful to avoid the appearance that he was forcing Lopez from the 11 p.m. slot.
When O'Brien's joining the network was announced in April 2010, Lopez said he was happy to move his show for O'Brien. He said he personally called O'Brien to urge him to come to the network.
"I can't think of anything better than doing my show with Conan as my lead-in," Lopez said at the time. "It's the beginning of a new era in late-night comedy."