Rick Sanchez broke his silence Wednesday with a standard apology, but it won't be enough to land him a job at Fox News or MSNBC, which are "not interested" in hiring the disgraced news anchor, TheWrap has learned.
Six days after the satellite radio interview that got him fired from CNN, Sanchez called his comments "inartful," adding: "I sincerely extend this apology to anyone else whom I may have offended."
Still, despite internet rumors and chatter that Fox News would be a natural place for Sanchez to land on his feet, a network spokesperson told TheWrap that Fox is "not interested" in taking him on. A spokesperson for MSNBC, where Sanchez worked prior to his CNN stint, also said their network is "not interested" in the anchor.
The controversy and its fallout comes at an inopportune time for Sanchez: CNN insiders tell TheWrap that he recently signed a new contract with the network, and on Sept. 20, his wife wrote a Facebook wall post that indicated the couple had just purchased a new house.
"Closed on our lakefront home today," she wrote.
Sanchez, who is a Cuban-American, called "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart "a bigot," accused CNN execs of discriminating against him and implied that Jews run the media industry.
The incident ended his career at CNN -- and he now appears to have no other options to return to another major cable news network.
For now, CNN has replaced Sanchez in the afternoon time slot with Brooke Baldwin, a former contributor to his show "Rick's List."
Sanchez's full statement is below:
"On October 4th, I had a very good conversation with Jon Stewart, and I had the opportunity to apologize for my inartful comments from last week. I sincerely extend this apology to anyone else whom I may have offended.
"As Jon was kind enough to note in his show Monday night, I am very much opposed to hate and intolerance, in any form, and I have frequently spoken out against prejudice. Despite what my tired and mangled words may have implied, they were never intended to suggest any sort of narrow-mindedness and should never have been made.
"In the aftermath of these comments, CNN and I have decided to part ways. However, I want to go on record to say that I have nothing but the highest regard for CNN and for my six wonderful years with them. I appreciate every opportunity that they have given me, and it has been a wonderful experience working for them. I have tremendous respect for everyone there, and I know that they feel the same about me. There are no hard feelings – just excitement about a new future of opportunities.
"I look forward to my next step with great anticipation. In the meantime, I will continue to promote my book, Conventional Idiocy, in the hopes of broadening the discussion to get a better understanding between all Americans, regardless of race, creed or religion."
(Updated 1:41 PM)