As TheWrap‘s film critic Alonso Duralde pointed out earlier this week, Scorsese’s adaptation of Belfort’s memoir of the same name ignited an online war between the film’s admirers and critics — some of whom accuse the film of “glorifying greed and psychopathic behavior,” as Christina McDowell — the daughter of a stockbroker who went to jail because of Belfort’s testimony — wrote.
– Become addicted to drugs and ingest a complicated regimen to make it through the day.
– Destroy a Lamborghini while on Quaaludes, crash it in your driveway with your young daughter in the front seat.
– Be BFF’s with a moronic loser who married his cousin (a character played to sleazy perfection by Jonah Hill).
– Marry a stunning woman, cheat on her and drive her to divorce.
– Be investigated by the FBI.
– Be arrested by the FBI.
– Get indicted for securities fraud and money laundering.
– Go to prison.
– Help the authorities send friends to prison.