President Barack Obama delivered one of the strongest speeches of his political career on Wednesday night at the Democratic Convention. During the speech, Obama took quite a few jabs at Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.
Obama’s beef with Trump goes way back and he used the speech to paint the picture that Hillary Clinton and Trump are severely different. Trump famously annoyed Obama throughout his presidency by pushing theories that Obama was born in Kenya, and thus ineligible to be president.
Here are the 6 best shots that Obama slipped into his convention speech.
1. “The American Dream is something no wall will ever contain,” Obama said, an obvious reference to Trump’s plan to build a barrier on the southern border with Mexico
2. “And then there’s Donald Trump. He’s not really a plans guy. Not really a facts guy, either,” Obama said, before going in for the kill. “He calls himself a business guy, which is true, but I have to say, I know plenty of businessmen and women who’ve achieved success without leaving a trail of lawsuits and unpaid workers and people feeling like they got cheated.”
3. “Does anyone really believe that a guy who’s spent his 70 years on this Earth showing no regard for working people is suddenly going to be your champion? Your voice?” Obama said before delivering the punchline. “If so, you should vote for him.”
4. Reacting when the crowd in Philadelphia booed at the mention of Trump’s name, Obama interjected: “Don’t boo. Vote.”
5. “[Hillary Clinton] is fit to be the next commander in chief,” Obama said. “Meanwhile, Donald Trump calls our military a disaster. Apparently, he doesn’t know the men and women who make up the strongest fighting force the world has ever known. He suggests America is weak. He must not hear the billions of men, women, and children, from the Baltics to Burma, who still look to America to be the light of freedom, dignity, and human rights.”
6. Turning his sights on Trump’s “Make America Great Again” slogan, the president said, “America is already great. America is already strong. And I promise you, our strength, our greatness, does not depend on Donald Trump.”
7. “Ronald Reagan called America a shining city on a hill. Donald Trump calls it ‘a divided crime scene’ that only he can fix,” Obama said. “It doesn’t matter to him that illegal immigration and the crime rate are as low as they’ve been in decades, because he’s not offering any real solutions to those issues. He’s just offering slogans, and he’s offering fear. He’s betting that if he scares enough people, he might score just enough votes to win this election. That is another bet that Donald Trump will lose.”
Check out the entire speech above.