Donald Trump is confident that “Saturday Night Live” will not “dump” him from his hosting gig on Nov. 7, despite protests from Hispanic groups.
The GOP presidential candidate told CNN on Monday that he doesn’t “see that all happening,” because he has a better relationship with Hispanics than many advocacy groups are letting on.
The outrage stems from Trump calling Mexican immigrants “rapists” and “killers” while announcing his campaign earlier this year. Now the National Hispanic Leadership Agenda is asking NBC and “SNL” executive producer Lorne Michaels to cancel the GOP candidate’s appearance on the Nov. 7 episode he’s scheduled to host.
“We are appalled that you would enable Trump’s hateful speech for nothing (more) than a ratings ploy and ask that you rescind the ‘SNL’ invitation,” the group said in a letter sent to NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke and “Saturday Night Live” Executive Producer Lorne Michaels.
This will be Trump’s second time hosting the sketch show. During his 2004 monologue, he famously told the audience, “Nobody is bigger than me, nobody is better than me, I’m a ratings machine.”
Trump also said on Fox News on Monday that “these groups are out for themselves,” adding that he is “leading in the polls with Hispanics” and has “thousands of Hispanics working for me,” something he has assured during many of his speeches.