Future of Showtime’s ‘The Circus’ Under Evaluation Amid Mark Halperin Sexual Harassment Scandal

Multiple women have accused Halperin of inappropriate sexual advances

Last Updated: October 26, 2017 @ 11:41 AM

Showtime will evaluate the future of the political docuseries “The Circus” following multiple allegations of sexual harassment against host Mark Halperin.

“During Mark’s time working with us, we have not seen nor have there been allegations of any untoward behavior,” the network said in a statement. “We are aware of these reports and will continue to evaluate all options should we decide to move forward with another season of ‘The Circus.’ There is no tolerance for sexual harassment within Showtime and its productions.”

CNN first published five accounts from unnamed women who claimed that Halperin made inappropriate sexual advances while he worked at ABC News more than a decade ago. The accusations included unwanted kissing, propositions for sex, pressing his genitals against three different women’s bodies while clothed and grabbing one woman’s breasts.

In a statement to CNN, Halperin apologized for “inappropriate” behavior, but specifically denied the latter two accusations.

Halperin served as co-host and executive producer on “The Circus” alongside longtime collaborator John Heilemann. The political docuseries premiered in 2016, tracking the presidential election, and returned for a second outing earlier this year focusing on the new administration. The eight-episode run of Season 2 concluded in May.

MSNBC, where Halperin had served as a contributor, announced on Wednesday that he had been suspended from the network in light of the allegations. “We find the story and the allegations very troubling,” the network said. “Mark Halperin is leaving his role as a contributor until the questions around his past conduct are fully understood.”