The following are some key dates for Marvel:
* 1939 - Martin Goodman founds "Timely Publications" later to become "Marvel Comics." Timely's first publication, Marvel Comics No. 1, includes the first appearance of The Human Torch.
* 1939 - Goodman hires teenager, Stanley Lieber, as an assistant. Lieber eventually took the name Stan Lee and became one of the company's most popular artists. Lee served as the company's editor-in-chief from 1941-1942 and 1945-1972.
* 1941 - "Captain America" comic launched, the company's first blockbuster title.
* 1961 - The first Marvel Comics branded comic published, the science-fiction "Amazing Adventures No. 3".
* 1962 - Spider-Man first appeared in the comic book "Amazing Fantasy No. 15." The character got his first solo in "The Amazing Spider-Man," in March 1963.
* 1963 - X-Men team of mutant superheroes first appeared in "The X-Men No. 1."
* 1986 - Company sold to New World Entertainment. Three years later, it was sold to MacAndrews & Forbes, owned by Ronald Perelman.
* 1991 - Marvel taken public in an initial public offering.
* 1996 - Company declares bankruptcy.
* 1997 - Bondholders take over control of company, financier Carl Icahn named chairman.
* 1998 - Company emerges from bankruptcy.
* 2000 - First "X-Men" movie.
* 2002 - First "Spider-Man" movie.