Johnny Depp sustained an injury to his hand over the weekend while in Australia for “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” and is returning to the United States for surgery, an individual close to the production has told TheWrap.
Depp was not on set or filming at the time, and production is expected to be “minimally impacted,” according to an insider.
A spokesperson for Disney confirmed the injury and told TheWrap that the release date of the film remains unchanged: July 7, 2017.
The fifth “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie began shooting last month and is scheduled to wrap this summer.
Espen Sandberg and Joachim Rønning are directing the movie, which will film entirely at Village Roadshow Studios and on locations within Queensland, Australia.
Depp stars alongside Javier Bardem and rising stars Kaya Scodelario, Brenton Thwaites and Golshifteh Farahani. Returning cast members include Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa, Kevin R. McNally as Joshamee Gibbs and Stephen Graham as Scrum.
In “Pirates 5,” a down-on-his-luck Captain Jack Sparrow finds the winds of ill-fortune blowing even more strongly when deadly ghost pirates led by his old nemesis, the terrifying Captain Salazar (Bardem), escapes from the Devil’s Triangle, determined to kill every pirate at sea — including Captain Jack. His only hope of survival lies in seeking out the legendary Trident of Poseidon, a powerful artifact that bestows upon its possessor total control over the seas.
Jerry Bruckheimer is producing “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales,” which was written by Jeff Nathanson. Executive producers are Chad Oman, Joe Caracciolo, Jr. and Brigham Taylor.