Fox News host Megyn Kelly will be away from “The Kelly File” this week to enjoy a long-planned vacation in Florida with her family. Fox News has confirmed to TheWrap that the trip has been planned for several weeks and has nothing to do with the latest Twitter rants from Donald Trump.
With Easter approaching and kids on Spring Break, this is a popular week for hosts and anchors to take vacation time. Kelly Ripa, Mika Brzezinski and Bret Baier are among other prominent broadcasters also taking time off this week. Kelly will be on air tonight and her vacation begins Tuesday.
Typically, a TV host going on vacation wouldn’t be news, but Kelly is a star with the second most-watched show in cable news and she has recently attacked by Trump, the GOP frontrunner for president.
Last week Fox News had Kelly’s back, issuing a statement that said, “Trump’s vitriolic attacks against Megyn Kelly and his extreme, sick obsession with her is beneath the dignity of a presidential candidate who wants to occupy the highest office in the land.”
The statement also said Fox News is “extremely proud of her phenomenal work.”
Kelly even mentioned the trip last week when discussing major changes that SeaWorld is making during a segment on her show.
“We are taking a family vacation down to Florida, and apparently we better get to SeaWorld right away if we want to see [orcas], Kelly said.
Kelly will miss five shows. Sandra Smith will be Kelly’s sub Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with Martha MacCallum filling in next Monday. The show is preempted tomorrow because of primary results.
So, regardless of what Trump tweets Wednesday when he realizes Kelly has a replacement host… she did not step aside because of him.