By Sahil Patel
As far as niche platforms go, Twitch had a pretty remarkable year in 2013. The video site, which exclusively caters to those who enjoy watching various types of gaming video content online, averaged 12 billion minutes-watched and 6 million broadcasts per month in 2013. Both numbers double Twitch’s monthly performance averages in 2012, signaling that while you might not think gaming videos to be “mainstream,” for a lot of people online, it is.
The above information can be found in an e-pamphlet created by Twitch, which runs through the platform’s accomplishments in 2013. For instance, Twitch’s monthly unique viewers currently sit at 45 million, again doubling 2012, during which Twitch averaged 20 million uniques per month.
If you want an idea of how much Twitch users love Twitch, here’s this: The site currently averages 106 minutes watched per user, per day.
If you want to understand who is on Twitch, the pamphlet (unsurprisingly) says the average Twitch user is 21 years old. In fact, 76% of Twitch users fall in the core 18–49 demo (and I highly doubt many of the remaining 24% are older than 49). And this group includes those who frequent social platforms like Facebook and YouTube, and those who haven’t subscribed to cable “in years, if ever.”
There is a lot more information on the planet, including about users who broadcast on the channel as well as media companies (like Machinima and Revision3) that have partnered with Twitch. It’s a good read, especially for those who saw the platform as always being on the periphery.