Yesterday, we told you how to keep an attentive audience on YouTube with decoded info from the “Creator Playbook.” Now that you know how to get people watching your videos, you need to continue to build your audience. One important way to do this is by encouraging your viewers to take action. Do something to make them click! YouTube calls these “Calls to Action” (CTAs). Here are a few ways to make your viewers interact with your content so as to let it spread:
1) Make Subscribing Tempting: Tell viewers why they should subscribe to your channel. If you post a new video every Wednesday, tell your viewers that you’ll have brand new content every Wednesday. It’s that simple.
2) Invite Serial Viewing: With a series, this task speaks for itself. However, you may just want to get viewers to tune into another show on your channel. Why not invite them directly? Inform them of the video where you and your dog perform a synchronized swimming routine and ask them (nicely) to tune in.
3) Spread Out Across the Web: Invite your audience to “like,” “share,” or “favorite” your videos — maybe even tweet them. One viewer “liking” your video will automatically promote it to all of their friends, which should generate a larger audience for you.
4) Ask Questions That Require Answers: In your video, pose a question to the public and request that they answer in the comments section below your video. Generating a conversation attached to your video will encourage others to comment and may pique the curiosity of a formerly untapped audience.
- Extra tip: The “Creator Playbook” suggests using “this vs. that” style questions to create more concrete debates between your viewers.
5) “Break the Fourth Wall”: Appeal directly to your viewers. Lock imaginary eyes and make whatever you say seem like a personal message for them.
6) Insert Clickable Annotations: At the end of one video, make an annotation that will lead viewers to another video. Just remember not to include this too early on in the video so as to limit watch-time of video one.
7) Include Links: With each video, you get the opportunity to write a description. Don’t waste it! Add links here to get your audience to click to other places on the web that house your content.
Now that you have audience members, don’t disappoint them. Tomorrow’s tip will show you how to keep them happy and hooked with regular content.