By Sahil Patel
For the second year in a row, Digital Entertainment World, an annual industry event focused on the issue of monetizing digital content, will host a competition to help relevant startups gain exposure and resources for growth.
The second annual DEW Startup Pitch and Competition will invite 12 startups to pitch their product in front of a panel of investors and other industry experts. The main requirement is that any participating startup should have a product, technology, or service that contributes to the creation, distribution, marketing, or monetization of digital content.
Other requirements include having a “demonstrable product or service” in the market or in beta, and that their current funding hasn’t exceeded $5 million.
DEW is accepting online submissions until January 10, 2015.
The competition’s prize package includes a full year of free hosting service from Rackspace ($24,000 value), a two-hour consultation with senior partners at IDG Ventures in San Francisco, $25,000 investment from Manatt Venture Fund in the form of a convertible note, and professional and business consulting services from LA-based law firm Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP and Manatt Digital Media ($25,000 value).
The 11 startups that do not win will receive 12 months of free hosting service from Rackspace.
Rackspace is sponsoring the competition alongside Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP, Manatt Digital Media, and IDG Ventures.
Judges for the competition include:
- Pat Kenealy, Managing Director, IDG Ventures
- Phil Sanderson, Managing Director, IDG Ventures
- Peter Csathy, CEO, Manatt Digital Media
- T. Hale Boggs. Partner Corporate/Finance, Capital Markets & Venture Capital, Manatt Phelps & Phillips / Chair, Manatt Digital Media
- Mike Lee, General Partner, Rogers Venture Partners
- Richard Wolpert, Managing Director, Amplify.la
- Lok Lee, Managing Director, CrunchFund
- Clinton Foy, Managing Director, Crosscut Ventures
- Chirag Chotalia, Vice President, Pritzker Group Venture Capital
- Sunny Dhillon, Senior Associate, Signia Venture Partners
- Yohei Nakajima, Program Coordinator, Techstars
- Cody Simms, Managing Director, Techstars
- Mark Salter, Managing Partner, New Century Capital Partners
- Ken Umezaki, Angel Investor & President, Digital Daruma
- Peter Brack, Executive in Residence, Mucker Capital
- Marshall Jensen, Managing Partner, DMW Hexagon
- Harry DeMott, Managing Director, Raptor Ventures
A three-day event, the conference will be held February 10–12 at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza in Los Angeles. It’s a joint venture between IDG World Expo and Digital Media Wire.