Pixability has released its 2015 “Beauty on YouTube” report, which shows just how vast this genre is on the world’s biggest video site — 45.3 billion views and 123 million subscribers strong. Meanwhile, ad spend on online video in the US is growing, according to eMarketer, and is set to reach $7.77 billion by the end of this year.
Just how much of the advertising dollar pie might beauty videos make up (don’t ignore the pun)? Pixability’s report offered some insight into the YouTube category’s influx of money and who might be driving it, showing ultimately that brands are getting more involved in the content…and for some good reasons.
How many beauty brands are getting exposure on YouTube?
According to Pixability, 215 beauty brands showed up in makeup, hair care, skincare, nail art, and other similar content on YouTube in April 2015. The content that they’re in has received more than 586,812,159 likes and has been tweeted out well over 23 million times.
So brands show up in the videos. How much traffic does their owned content get?
Of the reported 45.3 billion total beauty views on YouTube, brands’ own videos account for 2.1 billion of them. That means that creators are responsible for the vast majority of beauty brands’ exposure on the platform. Maybe those ad dollars aren’t best spent on pre-rolls…
Still, brands are trying to keep up with their owned content.
Between January 2014 and April 2015, views of beauty content produced by brands grew 35% faster than views of all beauty content on YouTube. Also, of the top 25 most viewed beauty videos uploaded to YouTube in the 2015 portion of this time period, 10 of them came from brands or were at least sponsored by them.
Which kinds of beauty videos get watched the most?
Makeup videos are the most prevalent on the video platform, making up 51% of its total videos in the category. The remainder come from hair videos (28%), nail videos (10%), skincare videos (6%), and perfume videos (5%).
Whose beauty videos are getting watched the most?
Okay, so view count doesn’t always match subscriber count, but it’s still worth noting that there’s a new top beauty creator on YouTube. Bethany Mota, with over 8.7 million subscribers, has displaced Michelle Phan, who has over 7.6 million subscribers, as YouTube’s most subscribed glamour guru.
How many men watch beauty videos?
You’d naturally expect the majority of YouTube beauty videos’ audience to be female — and they are, accounting for 89% of the genre’s viewers. Males make up the other 11%.
What are viewers watching beauty videos for?
It looks like aspiring beautiful people are actually tuning into beauty video tutorials in real time, using them as they get ready to face the day and to glamour up for a night on the town. Views of these videos spike on both the East Coast and the West Coast of the US during nine-to-fivers’ pre-work hours and during the evenings before people tend to head out to dinner or some nighttime amusement. It only makes sense that many of these viewers are watching tutorials on mobile — whether they have time to get ready at home or not, it’s easier to check in with a mobile phone that it is to scatter your makeup around a whole laptop — and mobile devices are where 55% of beauty video views on YouTube take place.