If the various visits that YouTubers made with POTUS over the last few years weren’t evidence enough that YouTube as a platform, and creators as modern-day celebrities, are important in politics, then the newest data released by YouTube further support that the video platform is big for politics. In January, political ads led the charts on YouTube for most watched for the first time ever, with three of the 10 most watched ads being political in nature. Two of those were campaign trail ads for aspiring-POTUS Bernie Sanders and Ted Cruz.
Posted on Jan. 21, the ad from Sanders below leapt to the #5 spot with only nine days remaining in the month and to date has generated over 2.9 million views on YouTube.
Hollywood franchise “Clash of Clans” took the top two spots on the ad chart for January, a position of dominance that began in December 2015, when the initial ad campaign rolled out.
What’s perhaps most interesting to look at from the leaderboard below is which content gained the most views in the shortest amount of time. For instance, the video for the animated game Pokemon was released with only 6 days remaining in the month, but it landed the #3 spot. Similarly, Buzzfeed’s Friskies video was 8th after being released with only two days left in the month.
It’s also important to note the weight YouTube continues to put on view counts without classifying whether those views are organic or paid, and without noting the level of engagement on the videos. Most of the videos below had rather low engagement, an indicator that paid views could be in the equation.
Here’s the complete list of the top 10 Ads on YouTube for January 2016:
- Clash of Clans: Traps (Official TV Commercial), 18.6M views since Jan. 7th, 2016
- Clash of Clans: A Special Map (Official TV Commercial), 11M views since Jan. 7th, 2016
- #Pokemon20: Pokémon Super Bowl Commercial, 10.6M views, since Jan. 25th, 2016
- Boom Beach: Dr. T’s Song (Official TV Commercial), 3.4M views since Jan. 1st, 2016
- America | Bernie Sanders, 2.8M views since Jan. 21st, 2016
- Drone Racing League: The Sport of the Future | DRL, 1.4M views since Jan. 25th, 2016
- Meet the real Jelly Queen! — TV ad — Candy Crush Jelly Saga, 1.3M views since Jan. 22nd, 2016
- Dear Kitten: Beginnings // Presented By BuzzFeed & Friskies, 825K views since Jan. 29th, 2016
- Invasion, 624K views since Jan. 5th, 2016
- The Trump Tapes: Vol. 1, 587K views since Jan. 21st, 2016