Graph from the 2016 IAB report on VR
Within the past few years the immersive tech industry has exploded. A recent eMarketer report shows over $2.5 billion in funding, acquisitions, and mergers for companies in the VR/AR and immersive media space since early 2014. The first half of 2016, alone, saw $1.3 billion invested, and the entire year itself saw investments in AR/VR triple.
Since this recent spike in popularity, two contenders have come to dominate the immersive tech arena, augmented reality(AR) and virtual reality(VR). The definitions of the two are continuously evolving, but the general consensus is that AR is a mix of reality and virtual reality, think Pokemon Go or Snapchat filters, and VR is the complete...
Oops! This is a Members Only post! Become a member to access!
Join WrapPRO for Exclusive Content, Full Video Access, Premium Events, and More!
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- VIP seating for TheWrap’s Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to “chill spots” at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events (TheGrill)
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers