Yesterday’s news that Group Nine Media was shutting down Sourcefed Studios was a hard blow, as I led the team that bought Phil DeFranco’s company (which included Sourcefed) back in 2013 when I was at Discovery — who had purchased my previous company, Revision3, the year before.
The news got me thinking about why many of the YouTube multi-channel networks ultimately failed, and what could have been done differently. I’ve been mulling this for a while — hindsight is always 20/20 of course — and if I could change just one thing it would be how we structured business deals with our creators.
Chad Gutstein Passes Chief Baton to Russell Arons, as New GM of MachinimaMonths after getting the company to acquisition, Chad Guts...
Oops! This is a Members Only post! Become a member to access!
Join WrapPRO for Exclusive Content, Full Video Access, Premium Events, and More!
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- VIP seating for TheWrap’s Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to “chill spots” at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events (TheGrill)
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers