Why the most successful streaming platform in the world may be headed for disaster during first paid season at bat.
With 1.3 billion users as of March 2017, YouTube has unquestioned domination over the streaming field. However attracting customers to its new paid streaming service YouTube Red has proven more than difficult for the company. And if VidCon statistics and word of mouth are any indicators, it will be an uphill battle towards success for the platform — if it can withstand the fight at all.
According to the latest stats, published January 2017, YouTube Red was sneaking by with only 1.5 million paying subscribers and an additional 1 million users on free trials. Let me p...
Oops! This is a Members Only post! Become a member to access!
Join WrapPRO for Exclusive Content, Full Video Access, Premium Events, and More!
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- VIP seating for TheWrap’s Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to “chill spots” at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events (TheGrill)
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers