India’s digital video industry continues to grow with no sign of slowing down. One main factor in the region’s growth spurt can be attributed to the increasing accessibility of smartphones. There are about 650 million mobile phone users in India, and just over 300 million of them have a smartphone, according to technology consultancy Counterpoint Research. This makes India a bigger smartphone market than the U.S., second only to China. By 2021, the number of active internet users in India is expected to almost double, reaching 536 million people. With India soon to become the leading nation in internet users, now is a better time than ever to discover what type of video content its current web users are viewing.
A recent report, conducted in September by Vidooly, an Indian YouTube audience development and analytics suite, ranked YouTube’s top performing Indian channels by category covering food, music, news, and more. Here are the results:
Most lifetime views: Village Food factory – 493,390,845
Most Subscribers: Kabita’s Kitchen – 2,779,743
Highest September Viewership: Nisha Madhulika – 24,906,406
Most lifetime views: T-Series – 24,293,496,515
Most Subscribers: T-Series – 25,857,558
Highest September Viewership: T-Series – 1,236,262,165
News and Politics:
Most lifetime views: NEXT9NEWS – 1,986,775,635
Most Subscribers: Aaj Tak – 3,598,096
Highest September Viewership: NEXT9NEWS – 142,508,005
Influencers and Vlogs:
Most lifetime views: Sandeep Maheshwari – 197,783,311
Most Subscribers: Sandeep Maheshwari – 3,263,692
Highest September Viewership: Sham Idrees VLOGS – 22,192,417
Most lifetime views: Star Sports – 214,895,980
Most Subscribers: Star Sports – 849,038
Highest September Viewership: Star Sports – 11,695,289
Methodology of the report:
- The ranking is based on the number of views, subscribers, and views in the month of SEPTEMBER.
- Only Indian based YouTube channels are taken into consideration.
- Indian food related YouTube channels are all categorized under food category.
- The closest relevant category is picked for pages that upload different kinds of videos.
- The popular page ranking for each category is based on the YouTube channels that upload videos consistently. There might be other pages that have more channel views with the help of spam videos, advertising content, and duplicate videos. Such channels are not included in this report.
- The following types of YouTube channels are not considered for the ranking even though they clock millions of views:
- YouTube channels of Political parties/personalities.
- Channels that freeboot videos (uploading videos without the channels permission with or without credits)
- Pages that upload video memes. (Using existing movie/music/viral video clippings)
- YouTube channels of brands that upload advertisements.