It's been a frequent occurrence that we report on the niche MVPD's and SVOD streaming services shutting down. Anime and nerd culture-focused VRV isn't one of them. On the contrary, the niche streaming service launched by AT&T's investment arm Otter Media has seen growth metrics that VRV's General Manager Arlen Marmel calls "really strong signals" that the brand is on track to succeed only one year into the business.
Since launching with content partners Crunchyroll, Nerdist, Geek&Sundry and RoosterTeeth with a freemium model priced at $9.99/month for an ad-free bundle, the platform has accumulated 1.5 million registered users and roughly 1 million monthly uniques.
Those numbers seem mild compared to the oft-empty mega numbers ...
Oops! This is a Members Only post! Become a member to access!
Join WrapPRO for Exclusive Content, Full Video Access, Premium Events, and More!
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- VIP seating for TheWrap’s Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to “chill spots” at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events (TheGrill)
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers