Disney isn’t buying Fox to acquire a majority stake in Hulu. But it isn’t not buying Fox to acquire a majority stake in Hulu either.
Disney CEO Bob Iger made clear in comments last week that acquiring Hulu was a microcosm of the larger strategic move that that House of Mouse made in acquiring Fox.
“Hulu obviously is a great opportunity to expand in the direct-to-consumer space. Owning roughly a third of it was great, but having control of it will enable us to greatly accelerate Hulu into that space and become an even more viable competitor to those that are already out there,” Iger said during a conference call announcing the Fox deal.
As much as questions will revolve around what Disney will do with the streaming service, there ...
Oops! This is a Members Only post! Become a member to access!
Join WrapPRO for Exclusive Content, Full Video Access, Premium Events, and More!
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- VIP seating for TheWrap’s Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to “chill spots” at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events (TheGrill)
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers