"Skinny Bundles," Social Media, and Partnerships -- for Pay-TV Providers its Time to Swim or Sink
It's no secret, Pay-TV is struggling. Services that once dominated the landscape are slowly being chipped away at by hundreds of emerging OTT services in the US. In 2017, cable providers lost 1,495,000 net video subscribers and satellite services like Direct TV and DISH lost 1,550,000 subscribers, according to an annual survey by Leichtman Research Group. Compare those numbers to 2016 when cable providers lost 760,000 subs and satellite providers lost just 40,000, and it's obvious that the consumer shift to OTT is inevitable. Despite still being in the lead in terms of revenue, Pay TV providers know that the era of "traditional" television i...
Oops! This is a Members Only post! Become a member to access!
Join WrapPRO for Exclusive Content, Full Video Access, Premium Events, and More!
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- VIP seating for TheWrap’s Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to “chill spots” at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events (TheGrill)
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers