For advertiser looking to reach Gen Z, Stories may be the perfect place.
The study, which was conducted by Vidmob, who surveyed 1,000 16-24-year-olds and 1,000 25-34 year olds in the U.S., also confirmed what most in the industry already know: Gen Z is spending more time watching video on mobile than TV. According to the report, 59% of Gen Z’s time spent watching video is on social, 5X more than linear TV and 2X more than streaming services.
SCOOP: Elizabeth Murdoch’s Vertical Networks Sets Up Unscripted Reality Series “BFF Court” with Snapchat
“VidMob is immersed in the world of mobile video and we have noticed a number of interesting trends among younger audiences that we sought to validate with a formal study. Our study focuses on actionable creative insights for brands seeking to connect with GenZ and Millennial consumers,” said VidMob CMO Stephanie Bohn.
Other interesting findings from the study include:
- 33% of Millennials and 41% of Gen Z consumers’ digital time is spent watching video
- 42% spent more time on social apps than last year across all platforms
- Usage of social apps outpaces that of mobile browsers. Less than 5% of consumers under 35 launch mobile browsers first.
- Gen Z is outpacing Millennials in their consumption of the Stories video format
- For all younger audiences, How-Tos, Tutorials and Hacks are the most popular types of videos consumed, with 46% watching on a weekly basis
- 42% of Gen Z watch Vlogs weekly, with Pranks next and Unboxing a distant third
- 27% of GenZ and 26% of Millennials seek out video content for products or services they are considering buying
With consumers increasingly relying on their mobile phones for entertainment, companies have started to evolve their offering to include content geared for mobile viewing. Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube have all started to incorporate some type of vertical video in their offering, whether it be Stories or full-fledged shows; and just this morning Wndrco announced it had closed a $1billion round of funding for its upcoming mobile video platform.