"[Twitch] is an amazing platform, but not a cross-over TV platform," says one publisher.
Shy of a year in the business of non-gaming 24/7 linear streaming and Twitch is proving it's not as lucrative as many anticipated it would be. And publishers, like Cheddar, Baeble Music, and Machinima aren't riding out the downcycle. In response, many have either stopped publishing entirely, in the case of Cheddar, or significantly decreased the volume of content being published.
According to Jon Steinberg at Cheddar, "'Always On' wasn't working, and [Twitch wasn't] surfacing or promoting it, so we are focusing on our weekly esports show, which does really well on Twitch. We are going to expand to 2 hours a day of Cheddar Sports on our OTT pla...
Oops! This is a Members Only post! Become a member to access!
Join WrapPRO for Exclusive Content, Full Video Access, Premium Events, and More!
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- VIP seating for TheWrap’s Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to “chill spots” at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events (TheGrill)
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers