BE Conference 2019: “This industry can destroy your soul if you allow it,” says “This Is Us” star Melanie Liburd
Before she landed a series regular role on the Neflix coming-of-age drama “On My Block,” actress Jessica Marie Garcia said that she spent three years on another series where she was described as an “expensive extra.”
Speaking with other actresses on a panel about building confidence at TheWrap’s BE Conference in Santa Monica on Thursday, Garcia said she sometimes struggled to move beyond the supporting roles that have defined her career so far, like her 35-episode stint on Disney Channel’s “Liv and Maddie.”
“I want to be more than someone’s friend every time,” she said, noting that it wasn’t until season 2 of “On My Block” that her character, Jasmine Flores, became a series regular.
Also Read: 'SMILF' Creator Frankie Shaw on Miscondu...
Oops! This is a Members Only post! Become a member to access!
Join WrapPRO for Exclusive Content, Full Video Access, Premium Events, and More!
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- VIP seating for TheWrap’s Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to “chill spots” at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events (TheGrill)
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers