BE Conference 2019: Of course, Shabnam Mogharabi was sitting in her quiet office at the time
When SoulPancake co-founder and general manager Shabnam Mogharabi and Rainn Wilson were pitching their media company to investors three years ago, Mogharabi said she encountered a startling moment of sexism while on a business call with a “a very, very large media company.”
You can watch the clip above.
“There’s this weird noise going on in the background,” Mogharabi said of the call with the company’s board, which consisted of “all white men over the age of 65.”
“So one of the men from the board goes, ‘Hey, uh, Sha- Shabnam? Is that you with the vacuum going on in the background? Would you mind going on mute?'” she told TheWrap CEO Sharon Waxman at the third annual BE Conference at the Annenberg Beach House in Santa Monica.
Oops! This is a Members Only post! Become a member to access!
Join WrapPRO for Exclusive Content, Full Video Access, Premium Events, and More!
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- VIP seating for TheWrap’s Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to “chill spots” at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events (TheGrill)
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers