Heavy D Autopsy: Flight Back From U.K. Jackson Memorial Led to His Death

Rapper succumbed to a blood clot in his lung caused by deep leg-vein thrombosis; death occurred just days after return flight from England

Rapper Heavy D died of blood clot in his lung, according to the results of an autopsy report that were released Tuesday morning.

The results also revealed that the rapper — whose real name was Dwight Arrington Myers — had deep leg-vein thrombosis and arterial sclerotic cardiovascular disease.

Also read: Rapper Heavy D Dies at 44

Myers had just returned from Wales, where he had performed at a Michael Jackson memorial concert.

"It is believed that [the trip] may have contributed to the thrombosis and blood clot," Los Angeles County Department of Coroner's Chief of Operations Craig Harvey told TheWrap.

Myers — who became an influential rapper the 1990s with Heavy D & the Boyz — died suddenly Nov. 8. He was found unconscious on a walkway at his Beverly Hills home.

When responders arrived, Myers was "conscious and communicative, but was having trouble breathing," police told TheWrap. He was transported to Cedars-Sinai hospital, where he died shortly thereafter.

Myers, who was 44, had been under the care of a private physician whom he had seen as recently as Nov. 7. He was due to see the doctor again on Nov. 9.

"He voiced complaints of flu-like, pneumonia-like symptoms and was using a cough medicine," Harvey said.

A toxicology report showed that no drugs contributed to his death, Harvey said.

Known for his merger of rap and pop, Myers earned five Top-40 albums, and a Top 20 single with 1991's "Now That We Found Love." He also contributed vocals on songs by Michael Jackson and Janet Jackson. His last record, a digital-only offering titled "Love Opus," was released in September.

Aside from his rap career, Myers also acted, with roles in the film "Life" as well as the television series "Boston Public." Most recently, he had a cameo as a security guard in the Ben Stiller/Eddie Murphy movie "Tower Heist."

In his first live show in 15 years, the rapper performed at the 2011 BET Hip-Hop Awards in October.