The Scoggins Report is TheWrap's bi-weekly analysis of the feature film development business. To download the PDF and receive early PDF editions in the future, sign up for Jason's mailing list via the form at the bottom of ItsontheGrid.com, a division of TheWrap. You can follow IOTG's Twitter feed here, and the Facebook page is here.
We know you’re completely preoccupied by the announcements coming out of Toronto and still getting up to speed post-Labor Day, so we’ll keep the intro short and sweet this week. Here are the highlights of August’s spec market activity:
• August continued 2011’s unbroken string of strong monthly spec sales, finishing nearly on par with July’s (and April’s and May’s, for that matter) unseasonably strong 6.
• None of the major studios broke out their checkbooks last month (the first time that’s happened since January), but four new buyers got on the board for the first time in 2011: Davis Entertainment, FilmNation, Inferno and Millennium/Nu Image.
• Two sets of unrepped writers sold specs last month, the first time that’s happened since we began tracking the market in 2009.
In case you were on vacation, riding out earthquakes or battening down the hatches in preparation for a hurricane when we we last published, here’s a link to the previous edition of the Scoggins Report. And now on to August’s numbers:
Weekly Activity Breakdown
Week of Aug. 8:
• 2 scripts hit the boards, neither of which sold
Week of Aug. 15:
• 1 script hit the boards and didn’t sell
Week of Aug. 29 (week before Labor Day):
• 1 script hit the boards and hasn’t yet sold
• 1 additional sale was reported (“Seven Days Waiting”)
Spec Sales (alphabetical by title)
Writer: Greg Russo
Reps: ICM and Manage-ment (Dan Halsted)
Genre: Action, Thriller
Attachments: Mark Steven Johnson (“Ghost Rider,” “Daredevil”) is attached to direct.
Notes: Originally went out in September 2010. Project was previously titled ”I-95.”
In The Event of a Moon Disaster
Writer: Mike Jones
Reps: CAA (David Kopple)
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi
Attachments: Aaron Ryder will produce through FilmNation.
Notes: Glen Basner will oversee for FilmNation. Script hit the market in May.
Writers: John Richardson & Chris Roach
Reps: Not applicable
Buyer: Dark Castle
Attachments: Jeff Wadlow (“Never Back Down”) is attached to direct. Joel Silver, Andrew Rona, and Alex Heineman to produce through Dark Castle.
Seven Days Waiting
Writers: Jeff Bacon, Jordan Capell & Joe Davidson
Reps: Not applicable
Buyer: Davis Entertainment
Attachments: Benderspink is attached to produce alongside Brad Jensen and Davis’s John Davis and Derek Dauchy.
Untitled Supernatural Action Project
Writer: Paul Sloan
Reps: Brucks Entertainment (Bryan Brucks)
Buyer: Millennium/Nu Image
Genre: Sci-Fi, Adventure
Attachments: Frank Demartini and Richard Salvatore are attached to produce.
If the above is your cup of tea, you'll love the ItsontheGrid.com blog. We post highlights of recent additions and changes to the database throughout the day, including individual posts on every spec that hits the market and roundups of new open writing assignments. Buttons to subscribe to the blog's feeds are right where you'd expect them.