Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced today during the company’s quarterly earnings call that “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” director Rian Johnson will create a new trilogy set in the “Star Wars” universe.
The new trilogy will be separate from the main Skywalker saga and, according to a Disney press release, the film will “introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.”
Johnson is set to write and direct the first film in the new trilogy with longtime collaborator Ram Bergman onboard to produce.
“We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi,” said Lucasfilm Kathleen Kennedy in a statement. “He’s a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”
See Rian Johnson's latest POWER MOVE.
“We had the time of our lives collaborating with Lucasfilm and Disney on The Last Jedi,” Johnson and Bergman said in a joint statement. “Star Wars is the greatest modern mythology and we feel very lucky to have contributed to it. We can’t wait to continue with this new series of films.”
Johnson’s upcoming “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” arrives in U.S. theaters on Dec. 15, 2017.
No release dates have been set for the new films.
Johnson is repped by CAA.View All the 'Star Wars' Behind-the-Scenes Shakeups Since Disney Bought Lucasfilm (So Far)