The Sundance Channel said Tuesday it’s launching into the world of original scripted series, starting with miniseries "Carlos," to premiere this fall, and four properties in development.
The full text of the cable channel’s statement follows:
New York, NY – February 9, 2010 – Sundance Channel announced today it is launching an original scripted strategy, with its first scripted miniseries, CARLOS, to premiere in Fall 2010, and with four properties in development. A next step in Sundance Channel’s evolution, the move builds on the network’s successful original programming strategy as it applies the strength of its brand to scripted series storytelling.
The network also announced its 2010 programming slate, which includes new series “Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys” as well as returning series “The Lazy Environmentalist,” “Man Shops Globe,” “Iconoclasts” and “The Day Before.”
Commented Sarah Barnett, EVP and GM Sundance Channel, "Leading off with the thrilling miniseries ’Carlos,’ our scripted strategy at Sundance Channel is rooted in our desire to tell original stories that are both entertaining and culturally relevant, while utilizing great talent in front of and behind the camera to bring those stories to life in a fresh and urgent way.”
CARLOS stars Edgar Ramirez (Che, Domino) in a compelling and timely portrait of international terrorist Carlos the Jackal, who masterminded a wave of terror attacks in Europe and the Middle East in the 70s and 80s. Directed by acclaimed French filmmaker Olivier Assayas (Summer Hours), the three-part mini-series examines the life of this infamous criminal, who was alternately seen as a hero and revolutionary or a villainous assassin. CARLOS was shot in various countries including Austria, France, Germany, Hungary, Lebanon and Morocco. It is produced by Film en Stock for Canal Plus and in association with Sundance Channel.
The network’s four scripted properties currently in development include “Triple Crossing,” a geopolitical crime drama set in South America; “The Clinic,” a suspense thriller set in the near future; “Fear of Flying,” an adaptation of Erica Jong’s iconic novel; and “Shutterbabe,” the adventures of a globetrotting female photojournalist, (see below for additional information).
Commenting on the network’s 2010 slate, Barnett said: “Sundance Channel is creating a reinvented arts and entertainment destination showcasing talented innovators, tastemakers, and trendsetters from the worlds of fashion, design, and politics, and featuring them in a way that is accessible, relevant and lots of fun to watch.”
2010 ORIGINAL PROGRAMMING LINEUP
· GIRLS WHO LIKE BOYS WHO LIKE BOYS (New Series)- Through the lives of four couples, this series explores the relationships between women and their gay best friends and the emotional and social tensions that frame them. Produced by World of Wonder. (8×30) August 2010.
· THE LAZY ENVIRONMENTALIST – Season 2 – returning for a second season, the series is hosted by eco-entrepreneur and author Josh Dorfman whose clever, stylish and convenient green innovations prove his credo that greening the planet doesn’t have to be complicated — even for this self-described “lazy environmentalist.” Produced by Free Range Media. (8×30) (April 20 @ 9 PM et/pt)
· SEDUCE ME (New Online Series) – Very much the spawn of the 2009 multiple Webby Award-winning series Green Porno, this new series will once again star Isabella Rossellini, only this time, she acts out the bizarre seduction strategies of nature’s most unique creatures, from bed bugs to jellyfish. (10×2) (5 films premiere on April 20 on sundancechannel.com; 5 films debut in August 2010).
· MAN SHOPS GLOBE – Season 2 – Keith Johnson has the job we all want. As the buyer-at-large for lifestyle store Anthropologie, Keith travels the globe in a never-ending hunt to find the world’s most beautiful, unique and desired treasures. Produced by World of Wonder. (8×30) (June 2010)
· THE DAY BEFORE – Season 2 – Fashion shows provide lots of glitz and glamour, but what happens behind-the-scenes, before the models take to the runway? In “The Day Before” rarely accessible, international legends of style open their doors at a key moment when creativity and business comes together as we follow the 36 hours prior to a designer’s show. “The Day Before” is produced by Loïc Prigent and Story Box Press Shooting in New York, London and Paris. (6×30)September 2010.
ICONOCLASTS – Season 5 – Pairing two leading creative innovators spanning film, literature, design, food, music and business, “Iconoclasts” returns to the Sundance Channel for a fifth season. The fifth season is executive produced by Sundance Channel founder, actor, and director Robert Redford, produced by @radical media, and directed by Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky (Metallica: Some Kind of Monster). (6×60) September 2010.
SCRIPTED PROPERTIES IN DEVELOPMENT FOR 2011
· TRIPLE CROSSING – a geopolitical crime drama set in a lawless South American city that borders Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil. Produced by John Malkovich’s Mr. Mudd (Juno, The Dancer Upstairs).
· THE CLINIC – set in the near future, a medical researcher runs a controversial clinic in a world that is pushing the boundaries of human medical testing. Produced by Tony To (“Band of Brothers,” “From the Earth to the Moon”), the series is written by John Harrison (“Dune”) and Michael Duggan (“Law and Order”).
· FEAR OF FLYING – adapted from Erica Jong’s iconic novel, this is the story of poet Isadora Wing, looking back at her eventful life through the lens of the many men she’s loved. Produced by Mammoth Screen and ITV (“The Prisoner,” “Lost in Austen,” “Wuthering Heights”).
· SHUTTERBABE – based on a true story, a young female photojournalist travels to some of the world’s most dangerous places to capture current events, meeting along the way professional barriers, romantic opportunities, and the love of her life. Series produced by Likely Story (Synecdoche, New York, the upcoming Please Give and The Extra Man).
Headed up by SVP Original Programming and Development, Lynne Kirby, Sundance Channel’s original programming team is Vice President, Original Programming and Production Mala Chapple, Vice President Original Programming and Development Nicole De Fusco, Executive Producer Original Programming Ann Rose, and Production Manager Jordan Kreisler.