‘The Sandlot’ Gang Will Reunite in TV Reboot, Creator Says

Writer-director David Mickey Evans says the original cast will get back together as adults in upcoming streaming series

Get ready, “Sandlot” fans. Smalls, Squints and Benny “The Jet” Rodriguez are getting back together with the gang in an upcoming streaming TV series, according to writer-director David Mickey Evans.

Evans made the big reveal during an interview Thursday on the baseball podcast The Rain Delay. “I just sold a ‘Sandlot’ television show. We’re about to get an order for the first two seasons,” he told host Cooperstown Kurt, though he says he couldn’t disclose who will be streaming the series just yet.

Regarded as a ’90s cult classic, “The Sandlot” follows the awkward new kid in the neighborhood, Scotty Smalls, as he befriends a group of baseball loving kids in the San Fernando Valley during the summer of 1962. So what can Evans tell us about the new series?

“I already got all the original cast members back,” Evan said. “It takes place in 1984, when they’re all, like, 33 years old and they all have children of their own. And that’s all I can tell you.”

This isn’t the only “Sandlot” follow-up in the works. During the original film’s 25th anniversary celebration last year, 20th Century Fox announced that a prequel film was in development with Evans attached as a co-writer for the script. A release date has not been set.