Breathe easy, Corey Lewandowski; you’re apparently off the hook.
Lewandowski, the Donald Trump campaign manager who last month came under fire for an altercation with a female reporter at a Trump press conference in Florida, will not be prosecuted for the alleged incident.
“As state attorney, I have made the decision that this office will not be filing charges against Corey Lewandowski for battery,” said Palm Beach County state attorney Dave Aronberg at a Thursday afternoon news conference.
“Although there was probable cause to make an arrest, the evidence cannot prove all legally required elements of the crime alleged and is insufficient to support a criminal prosecution,” court documents said.
Former Breitbart reporter Michelle Fields claimed that Lewandowski bruised her arm when he grabbed her and pulled her away from Trump following an event at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate on Mar. 8 in Jupiter, Florida.
Trump has defended Lewandowski in the alleged incident, and his campaign issued a statement following the announcement, saying: “Corey Lewandowski is gratified by the decision to drop the misdemeanor charge and appreciates the thoughtful consideration and professionalism by the Palm Beach State Attorney and his staff who carefully reviewed this matter, as well as Mr. Trump’s loyalty and the support of his colleagues and family during this time. The matter is now concluded.”
However, according to Politico, Fields might still pursue a defamation case against Lewandowski.
After the incident, a group of female media professionals, including Fox News’ Katie Pavlich and CNN’s Mary Katherine Ham, signed a letter asking Trump to respond to the “inexcusable, unprofessional” behavior of Lewandowski.
Politico first reported the news of Aronberg’s expected dismissal of the matter on Wednesday.