The revival of David Mamet's "Glengarry Glen Ross" will open on Dec. 8
Updated, 5:14 p.m. EST
A star-studded revival of "Glengarry Glen Ross" has pushed back its Broadway opening by a month.
The new production of the David Mamet play, starring Al Pacino and Bobby Cannavale and directed by Daniel Sullivan, had been slated to open on Sunday, but has pushed back its debut until Dec. 8. Reviews will be released on Dec. 10, producers said.
"Glengarry Glen Ross" was originally slated to close in late December, but its limited run at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatrewill be extended through Sunday, Jan. 20, 2013.
Thanks to its big-name cast, the show has been one of the season's hottest, selling $6 million in advance tickets. It is currently in previews, and the delay will extend that period longer than is customary.
Jeffrey Richards, a producer on the show, told the New York Times that the premiere was pushed back because Hurricane Sandy had disrupted rehearsals. Producers were also eager to move its start away from that of "The Anarchist," a new Mamet play that is scheduled to begin previews Nov. 13 and open on Dec. 2 on Broadway.
"Glengarry Glen Ross" centers on a collection of real estate agents pitted against each other in a desperate competition to sell the most properties or risk being fired. It won a Pulitzer Prize when it opened in 1984. Pacino starred as smooth-talking agent Ricky Roma in a 1992 film version, earning an Oscar nomination for his efforts. In the revival he will cede that part to Cannavale to play the more downbeat character of Shelley "The Machine" Levene, an agent well past his expiration date.
← Previous Story