Permits are on a case-by-case basis and will not be issued in parts of the city hit hard by the hurricane
New York City will resume issuing outdoor filming permits starting Monday, after suspending the practice earlier this week in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, the city's Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting said on Friday.
Though permits will only be allowed on a case-by-case basis, and not in parts of the city hit hardest by the megastorm.
Sandy slammed into the city and its five boroughs, leaving large swaths of Manhattan underwater and an estimated 228,000 people without power. In response, the city limited permitting to productions shooting on soundstages.
A number of New York City-based productions have already started shooting on soundstages this week, including "30 Rock," "The Good Wife" and "Smash."
Though agreeing to resume some outdoor filming, the city is urging filmmakers to be cognizant of the massive cleanup taking place. “As the City continues to get back on its feet, we are encouraging productions to film in those areas throughout the five boroughs that were not as badly affected by the storm," the office said in a statement.
"New York crews are known for their ‘can do’ attitudes, and the City offers a wealth of location options for productions. We’re confident that the TV shows and feature films that call New York City will take this temporary adjustment in stride," it added.
← Previous Story